Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011

Its that time of year again, when every single person, critic or otherwise, rolls out their top 10 favorite/best something or other for that year. I am no different. We'll start things off with my top 10 favorite mixtapes. I had about 40 to choose from, and the competition was pretty stiff, and 365 days is a long time for me to listen to anything, but I tried to be fair to the artists that put out music in the first half of the year. We'll start things off with some honorable mentions that seriously broke my heart they couldn't be in the top 10.

Honorable Mentions:
Trademark Da Skydiver & Young Roddy - Jet Life to the Next Life
Pusha T - Fear of God
Phil Ade - A Different World
Schoolboy Q - SetBacks
Freddie Gibbs - Cold Day in Hell
The ILLZ - Illzsential
Ab-Soul - Longterm Mentality

10. Kidz in the Hall - Semester Abroad
This mixtape was just solid all the way through. The features, the beats, the raps, etc. Just great windows down music. It was a solid bounce back for the Kidz after their miserable showing of Land of Make Believe.
Best Song: "So Amazn' "

9. Aleon Craft - Craft Singles
This project wasn't even fair for me, as I am the biggest sucker for mc's rapping on hipster songs. Aleon Craft is a solid ATL mc that has a great ear for beats to rap on. Feel good music.
Best Song: "Broken Paradise" "Cameras"

8. Mac Miller - Best Day Ever
If the year would've ended 6 months ago, this probably would've been on top of the list. It was definitely a step up from K.I.D.S. as far as rhyming and beats go. It's just vintage Mac really.
Best Song: "All Around the World", "BDE Bonus"

7. A$AP Rocky - LiveLoveA$AP
This guy took me by major surprise. I held out listening to this tape until about a month or two ago, but once I did, I couldn't stop. If UGK, Bone Thugs n Harmony and Cam'ron all added their DNA to a super rapping baby, Rocky would be that baby. He's got slow, medium and fast flows on lock, and the most syrupy, purple beats I've ever heard. He's more Houston than Houston rappers are.
Best Song: "Peso", "Trilla" and "Out of this World"

6. STS - Demand More II & Demand More II G.O.L.D. Edition
As far as newcomers go, STS is definitely my favorite this year. I discovered him from the Money Making Jam Boys mixtape (#3 on this list) and a few Roots tracks. His nasally pitch is quite unique to hip hop, as is his breathless flow and speedy, yet lyrical delivery. Be on the lookout for more STS this year.
Best Song: "The People", "I Am the A", "Atlanta"

5. Curren$y - Covert Coup
Spitta has been one of my favorite artists since I first got into him in like '07. This year he seemed to have lost his edge a little bit, with a mediocre album, and a few so-so mixtapes. This tape, however, still gets some run on my playlists, 8 months after it first came out. With legendary producer Alchemist at the helm, weed raps never sounded so good.
Best Song: "Scottie Pippens", "Full Metal"

4. Asher Roth - Pabst & Jazz
Damn, every time Asher comes out with something new, mixtape or album, it always blows my mind. I have always been under the impression that white boy rappers have to seriously step up their game lyrically to even make a dent in the hip hop game. Eminem paved the way, and Asher follows right in line, with dense, witty, and comical lines about anything and everything. The beats are great, and so are the many impressive guest spots. Words can't really describe his awesomeness on this tape.
Best Song: Yea right, they're all freaking good. But if I had to choose... "More Cowbell", "Bastermating", "Hard Times", "Charlie Chaplin"

3. Money Making Jam Boys - 10 Deep Presents: The Prestige: Jam Boy Magic
This mixtape, man. It pretty much blew the hinges off anything else in the game lyrically. MMJB are the Philadelphia version of Slaughterhouse, except better somehow. Imagine 5 sick lyricists on one team, except competing against each other for dominance on every single track. Its like the all star game really. And with Black Thought (mc for the Roots) as the leader, this group only has the most potential.
Best Song: "500 Horses", "Tear it Down", "Judgement Day"

2. Pac Div - Mania!
I've been following Pac Div for quite awhile, and every single mixtape, and finally album, gets better than the last. Mania! is no different. They have definitely paved their own lane, with original sounding beats, and 3 very gifted, but fun loving mc's. They are by far my favorite group in hip hop right now, just keeping things light-hearted and fun but not simple by any means. Underground and poppy and mainstream all in one. If you haven't heard them, do yourself a favor and change that. Words can't really describe how sweet they are.
Best Songs: "The Mirror", "Take Me High", "Somethin"

1. Lupe Fiasco - Friend of the People
Come on, its not even fair. Of course a Lupe mixtape is gonna be my #1. When he doesn't have to worry about his label and selling records and being a sellout and focuses completely on making music with his own message, he is absolutely unstoppable. Politically and socially he is pretty much right on par with where I'm at, and somehow he is able to better articulate these feelings in song form than I am with just words. This mixtape is probably my second favorite of all time. Second only to his first mixtape in this series Enemy of the State. Damn dude, I would pay more money for these tapes then his last album for sure. Definitely anticipating Food and Liquor 2 though.
Thanks for reading this self masturbatory list of my favorite mixtapes of the year. Be on the lookout for top hip hop albums, non hip hop albums, and if I'm feeling insanely ambitious, 25 or 50 favorite songs of 2011. Peace y'all.

1 comment: