Monday, April 12, 2010

live from south philly

What up world? It's sway reporting live on MTV news. Don't know why I opened with that, I just miss when Sway would be fly on MTV. Back when music played. Sometimes. It had been brought to my attention that I really haven't made any significant posts outside of classic music videos. Not ashamed. With that said, the move to South Philly has been a Blueprint 2. The low rent and convenient location has been paying dividends already, and it's only been a few weeks. The neighborhood is super diverse, and overall a B on friendliness, and pretty much no threat to personal safety. There is however, an excessive amount of trash in a 3 block radius of the house, ranging from fast food wrappers, to full piles of uncollected nastiness. It's gross as is, but the fact that my dog is not used to this amount of awesome, it takes us half an hour to get across the street. If trash smells were to dogs what coke sniffing is to humans, I can only assume that he's the Tony Montana of the block.
Work has been Vol. 2 without a Reasonable Doubt. All of our projects are within weeks of being launched, and fund raising Dead Presidents has caused nothing but 99 Problems. I'll be damn glad when 2 months have passed and I'm done with City Year, but it really has opened up my passion for education once again. On the one hand I am really starting to fall for Philadelphia, and especially my students, I can't bare the thought of them continuing their academics without my motherly eye. But on the other hand I miss my home, I miss my family, I miss my friends, and I miss the Midwest. Sometimes I wanna just run home crying and jump into my mom's arms and just have her fix everything for me, and other days I wanna plant myself in the city and just setup base camp. Who knows where I'll be in 2 months. Hopefully never in a red jacket ever again, I do know that. I can and will Knock that Hustle.
Music has lately been disappointing, and found myself blastin the same shit. Gorillaz new album is still spinnin, but besides that its still Chip and Curren$y with some various appearances from the usual freshman '09 and '10 suspects. I need some new albums or mc's or something. Both preferably. There has been one candle in the dark in Jay Electronica. The name is lame, but he spits that "God Hop" that is on a Lupe Fiasco level. Which is not something I toss around lightly. If you don't believe me download his Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind track, catch a paper plane, and let him single handedly deconstruct everything you thought you knew about music. The only downside to my new discovery, no scratch that, reawakening is that the meat of his workload is from a few years ago, and people have been waiting on his last mixtape apparently for months now. Regardless, you can label me a stan and The Watcher 2, I'll be scooping up anything I can find from his midas touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment