Wednesday, April 22, 2009

someone come sex mutombo

Dikembe Mutombo born Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo has finally retired today, after a season/career ending knee injury in the playoffs against the Trail Blazers last night. And thus ends a legacy of domination. 18 seasons of shot blocking and finger waving. I gotta say, I'll miss the big dumb bastard, even though I've had a love hate relationship with him his entire career. His greatest seasons being with the Nuggets, I could only watch in horror at my grandparents house as the #8 seed nuggets knocked out my beloved #1 seed sonics in the first round of the 94 playoffs, falling to the ground clutching the ball with and crying with joy. It would only continue from there winning defensive player of the year award something like 4 more times. Just menacing my western teams.

Once he moved out east they I began to appreciate him for what he truly was. 7 feet and 2 inches of Congolese trash talking beauty. His finger waving became a staple after every single block he got, which was something like 400 blocks in his career, second only to the hall of famer and equally beloved Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon. Known for his bullying elbows on the floor, he'll also be rememberd for his humanitarian work off-court. Well known for his work with the UNDP and building a brand new hospital in Congo, he really did have a heart made of gold.

So after 18 seasons big fella, of shot blocking, elbow swinging, and finger waving fury, my hat's off to you pal. My bridge to early 90's basketball is slowly crumbling with your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment