Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"for the eyes of the world now look into space"

He doesnt know it yet, but I decided to nick a post from my friend's blog that I thought was very interesting, thought provoking, and pretty much on par with where my life seems to be. Hope you don't mind Bryan, its supposed to be flattering.

"I was looking at the moon today as I stood at the bus stop, and my mind was blown. It's hard to imagine just how big and how far away it is. It's always looked the same, every time I see it in the sky. But today I looked at it, and thought about how I could see this other world in its entirety...from pole to pole, from horizon to horizon. That thing is almost 300,000 miles away...an unimaginable distance...yet it seems too familiar to possibly be so far away. I tried to imagine Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking clumsily on the surface, and what Earth must have looked like to them from the same distance. And what it would be like knowing that of the billions of people on the planet, they were the only two (along with that other astronaut that was with them that no one remembers) with a view of it all from the outside, away from the wars and the hunger and the traffic jams and the old guys who sit on park benches."




I used to want to be an astronaut. And a pilot. And a truck driver. And a professional football player. And a meteorologist. And an engineer. It seems like at any given point in my life I knew exactly what I wanted to do, except for now, when it's starting to matter.

What I don't want to be is an automaton. I feel like too often I fall into the trap of daily routine: wake up, go to class, eat, do homework, waste time, sleep, repeat. I try to do creative things to break up the monotony. Yesterday I worked on a photoshop for awhile, but it froze and I lost it all. It was going to be so rad. Imagine a giant great white shark emerging from the void of space to engulf the Earth in its gaping jaws...but emerging from the darkness to the side is...Voltron, Defender of the Universe! That's what it was, but it's gone now.

Voltron is an automaton.

This post was another attempt to break up the monotony, but it actually hasn't been that satisfying. Oh well! Guess I'll sleep instead!"

1 comment: