Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2

Today was the second day of BT (basic training) which was basically one long day of workshops, ranging from the history of City Year and Americorps, to the rules and regulations of the mantel (batman joke about the uniform). I must say the workshops themselves can be interesting at times, but sitting in a hot room with 60-230 other young adults ready to serve can be trying. I am already a very restless person by nature, so having me sit in a sweltering room, in uncomfortable chairs, surrounded by a horde of other uncomfortable, and quite tired individuals is a drain. I understand that its absolutely necessary to be as trained as possible, especially when the lives of our future are at stake, but its hard not to be more then a little frustrated in such a boring setting.

On a positive note, I have started to hit it off with more then a couple of my team mates (naturally, since I'm one of 3 males in the group) and have already been invited to enjoy some beverages for the weekend. I really hope I stay in touch with some of these people once we get our placements and are more then likely split up. Its only the second day of knowing these people, but there is something extremely compelling about knowing that all of us are in the same boat, both literally, and ideologically.

I've somewhat realized that with the strenuous new hours of BT I will not be blogging/facebooking/twittering even a fraction as much as I normally do on a given day, but there is something a little bit liberating in knowing that I can't look or think about a computer screen until I get home and have thoroughly taken care of myself and the dog first. Assuming my days stay eventful, I will hopefully at least have one entry per day.

Can you tell I'm a little excited about starting work?

2 comments: