Wednesday, September 2, 2009

QOTD

With all the excitement of starting a new job, I forgot to mention the best and simplest part of my day, that I actually look forward to every morning. Being a night person, it is of no surprise that waking up 3 hours earlier then my body would prefer has been a burden to say the least. But after changing my routine of cereal and cartoons to running with Winston and breakfast on the go, I can already start to feel my body get a little more settled into the early morning. That being said, the greatest part of this new routine, after all of the grumbling, is finally getting onto the train and, not being able to fall back asleep for fear of missing my stop, watching the city skyline slowly make its way into view after about 30 minutes of travel time. The city itself does not have an extremely impressive skyscraper arsenal compared to that of say, a New York or Chicago, but there is something very moving about seeing the city that I am about to serve, creep into view, and shine in the morning sun. But what's even more fantastic is finally crawling out of the underground train station, and first emerging into the already bustling and thriving center city streets. Even with the rampant trash and sewer smell, mixed with the exhaust of speeding cars, the fresh almost autumn air immediately fills your lungs, and the sun shines down on you, and lets you know that you're in the city. I can't help but have a big stupid grin on my face for the first block or two on my way to the office.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really starting to embrace Philly. And with that I leave you with the City Year quote of the day, that actually ties in very well with my current reading of Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being which I will absolutely be blogging about later...
"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness"

-Leon Trotsky

No comments:

Post a Comment