Sunday, September 27, 2009

Us


In music news, it has officially become one of the best years for hip hop. Curren$y, Method Man & Redman, Kid Cudi, Rick Ross, Fabolous, Jay Z have already dropped fantastic albums, and there is only more on the horizon with Wale, Consequence, Lupe Fiasco, Big Sean and Drake set to release variously throughout the rest of 09.
Most importantly though, is undoubtedly the best hip hop album of the year, but underdog Rhymesayer Brother Ali. The street preacher has always been on the list of my favorite independent artists, and his skills are undoubtable, but this album completely knocked me off my feet the first spin through. If you haven't snatched this up yet than you need to wake up and get out of your jammies. I don't care if you what you gotta do to get it, buy/download/steal/trade/prostitute etc but you seriously need to check it out.
Every track is the best track on the album. The beats are original but not weird, and his lyrics and flows go unmatched. The substance he rhymes about on this album is fresh and creative, positive and uplifting but not cheesy and important for our generation to here. Suffice it to say that Us has become the anthem and theme music for my City Year tenure. Whenever I find myself doubting humanity, or losing steam with my mission and job, I just throw on a couple of these jams and I'm back on track. I seriously hope that people can not only vibe but align themselves with this album like I have.
Even awesomer is that I get to see him live in like a month or so. Hopefully Philly Freeway will make a cameo. Midwest stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment