Tuesday, May 12, 2009

lost in translation


There is something about this movie that is extremely medicating for me. It has been that way since the first time I ever saw it. There is something about Sofia Coppola that just absolutely hits the spot. And its not just the "well she has a pretty face and nice boobs" kind of hits the spot. I love her movies. I love the plot of her movies, I love her characters, and I love the dialogue. But the thing I love absolutely more then anything else about her flicks is the way she sets the mood. To me the mood of a movie can make or break it. And the mood in Lost In Translation makes it. I mean it really fucking makes it. There is something about Bill Murray in his later years that impresses me more then anything else. Its his ability to be an amazingly hilarious man, but somehow project this aura of being a really really bummed out old guy. I don't know what it is, but whenever I am feeling bummed, or alienated, or lost, or confused or even just neutral, this movie puts me in the perfect state of mind. Hopefully people get this same sensation, because I don't think this post would really make sense to anyone that doesn't feel the same way. For those of you who do get this, you and I, we can be an another echelon of understanding. And the rest of you can go kick rocks.

P.S. Also, the soundtrack is on point, and Scarlett Johansson does a phenomenal job and is her usual babely self. She's only like 6 months older then me too. I maintain, to this day, that if I were ever put in a situation where we crossed paths, I could wow a wedding ring right onto her finger. I will owe my life and soul to whomever can accomplish this. Satan, I'm looking in your direction for this one pal.

1 comment:

  1. you will have to fight me for her

    to the death

    in the thunderdome AKA living room

    ReplyDelete